Saturday, December 9, 2006

"My Blogger" is a shitty name

I have been thinking a lot about what it means today to be a man in society. Do I belong? Do I need to?

Meet two friends of mine.



On the left is Lindsay, on the right is Steve. Recently celebrated four years of a relationship. Awesome.

Earlier today I called Lindsay asking if she had some plans, she had nothing, so I went over her house and watched a few episodes of Arrested Development (which is hilarious, by the way). Steve came over and I was immediately the third wheel. Which I really don't quite mind (it's been a joke that Lindsay is the one third-wheeling the relationship.

Partially in attempt to weird me out, partially to continue with the joke that is it Lindsay and not I who is third-wheeling, he started putting his arms around me like he would Lindsay. But the thing is I actually enjoyed that. I felt comfortable, relaxed in his arms. For those brief moments, it was as if nothing in the world was outside of that room.

After a short while, Steve felt awkward and let go. To rub it in more, I did the same to him, to which he promptly let go and held onto Lindsay as the two of them looked back at me, jokingly.

What is going on here now? It is not like I have a sexual attraction to Steve. I reckon I just am the kind of person who just gets a lot out of actual physical contact with someone. Even small things. Trust me, they don't go unnoticed, nor are they unappreciated. Hugging someone is great. Cuddling and/or sleeping with another person is wonderful.

My question is why is physical contact perceived as pertaining to homosexuality? Are my emotions understandable? Do men typically feel this way?

I'm leaving this published for now. It'll be expanded upon later.

No comments: